topographic maps and contouring elevation data lab general map informa
Topographic Maps and Contouring Elevation Data Lab
General Map Information
Every topographic map contains useful information printed in its margin. Locate and record the following information for your map.
Each topographic map is assigned a name for reference. The name of a topographic map is located in the upper-right corner of the map.
1. What is the name of your topographic map? The name is located in the upper-right corner of the map.
Map name: __________________________________________________
Notice the small reference map and compass arrow in the lower margin of the map.
2. In what part of the state (north, southwest, etc.) is the area covered by your map located?
The names of adjoining maps are given along the four margins and four corners of the map.
3. What is the name of the map that adjoins the northeast corner of your map?
Adjoining map: _______________________________________________
4. What is the name of the map that adjoins the southwest corner of your map?
Adjoining map: _______________________________________________
Information about when the area was surveyed and the map published is provided in the margin of the map.
5. When was the area surveyed?
6. When was the map published?
7. What are the latitudes of the southern edge and northern edge of the map to the nearest ½ minutes of latitude?
Latitude of southern edge: _______________
Latitude of northern edge: _______________
8. How many total minutes of latitude does the map cover?
_______________ minutes of latitude
9. What are the longitudes of the eastern edge and western edge of the map to the nearest ½ minutes of longitude?
Longitude of eastern edge: _______________
Longitude of western edge: _______________
10. How many total minutes of longitude does the map cover?
_______________ minutes of longitude
11. The map is a __________ minute series topographic map because it covers __________ minutes of latitude and __________ minutes of longitude.
Since the geographic North Pole and North Magnetic Pole of Earth do not coincide, the north arrow on a topographic map often shows the difference between true north (TN) and magnetic north (MN), the direction a compass would point, for the area represented. This difference in degrees is called the magnetic declination.
12. How many degrees difference are there between true north and magnetic north? _____________
In general, what color(s) are used for the following types of features?
13. Highways and roads:____________________________________________
15. Urban areas:___________________________________________________
16. Wooded areas:_________________________________________________
17. Water features:____________________________________________
18. Examine your topographic map and write out the fractional scale in the following space.
Topographic map: _______________:______________
Depending upon the map scale, one inch on a topographic map represents various distances on Earth. Convert the following scales.
Scale 1 Inch on the Map Represents
19. 1:24,000 ______________feet on Earth
20. 1:63,360 ______________mile(s) on Earth
21. 1:250,000 ______________miles on Earth
22. What is the contour interval that has been used on the Figure 4 map?
Contour Interval: _______________ ft
23. Draw arrows pointing to the two areas on the map that have the steepest slopes.
24. What characteristic of the contour lines shows that the slopes are steep?
25. Notice what happens to the contour lines as they cross a stream. Does the "peak" or “V” formed by a contour line as it crosses a stream point upstream or downstream?
What are the elevations of the points designated with the following letters?
26. Point A: _______________feet
27. Point B: _______________feet
28. Point C: _______________feet
29. The approximate elevation of the church is (12, 22, 32) feet. Select what you think is the correct answer.
30. What is the total vertical relief shown on the map?
Highest elevation (__________ft) - lowest elevation (___________ft) = total relief (_____________ ft)
31. What is the slope of the mountain located on the east side of the diagram from its summit, directly south to the ocean?
Slope = _______________ feet/mile
Use the Baraboo topographic map to answer questions 32-40.
32. What is the datum that has been used for determining the elevations on the map?
33. What is the contour interval of the map?
Contour interval: _______________ ft
34. What is the lowest elevations found on the map?
Lowest elevation: _______________feet
35. What is the highest elevations found on the map?
Highest elevation: _______________feet
36. What is the elevation of the exact center of the map?
Elevation: _______________ feet
37. Locate Manley Creek on the map. Find a contour line that crosses the stream. Remembering that when a contour line crosses a stream, it forms a “V” that points in the upstream direction, in what geographic direction (north, northeast, east, southeast, south, west, etc.) is Manley Creek flowing?
38. The surface elevations of water bodies are often given on topographic maps in black numbers. What is the elevation of the water surface in Devil’s Lake?
39. Locate the ski lifts just north of Devils Head Lodge located along the eastern edge of the map. What is the approximate total vertical relief (highest elevation – lowest elevation) of the ski lift furthest to the west?
40. Do a quick Wikipedia search on Ice Age National Scientific Reserve, which is located in the western part of the map area. What are some of the unique geologic features found here? (Hint: they are related to glacial processes.)
*The amount will be in form of wallet points that you can redeem to pay upto 10% of the price for any assignment. **Use of solution provided by us for unfair practice like cheating will result in action from our end which may include permanent termination of the defaulter’s account.Disclaimer:The website contains certain images which are not owned by the company/ website. Such images are used for indicative purposes only and is a third-party content. All credits go to its rightful owner including its copyright owner. It is also clarified that the use of any photograph on the website including the use of any photograph of any educational institute/ university is not intended to suggest any association, relationship, or sponsorship whatsoever between the company and the said educational institute/ university. Any such use is for representative purposes only and all intellectual property rights belong to the respective owners.